21 December 2004

BUSH IS TIME'S PERSON OF THE YEAR

US President George W. Bush is TIME's Person of the Year for 2004.

He defeated "blogs" for that accolade, but TIME came up with an article that discussed 10 things it learned about blogs in an attempt, I think, to appease bloggers who might have been disappointed.

As to WHY they picked George Bush over "blogs" and other serious contenders, this was part of their reason:

"For sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his ten-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years, George W. Bush is TIME's 2004 Person of the Year."

I still think Blogs or blogging should have been TIME's 2004 Person of the Year.

But because Bush was stubborn enough to cling to his convictions and principles in defending America, even if it earned him a number of enemies, I think he can indeed be Person of the Year.

"Sometimes you're defined by your critics," he says. "My presidency is one that has drawn some fire, whether it be at home or around the world. Unfortunately, if you're doing big things, most of the time you're never going to be around to see them [to fruition], whether it be cultural change or spreading democracy in parts of the world where people just don't believe it can happen. I understand that. I don't expect many short-term historians to write nice things about me."

[TIME]

Well, if he puts that way, I rest my case.

Congratulations, Mr. President.



0 reactions: