03 July 2008

Ninety-Year Old Men Have Lower Chances of Getting Alzheimer's

...but there is also something ironic about it:
Men are much less likely than women to live into their 90s, but those who do have a much lower chance of having Alzheimer's disease or another form of dementia, U.S. researchers said on Wednesday.

In a study involving 911 people age 90 and older, 28 percent of the men and 45 percent of the women had some type of dementia.
Alzheimer's disease is the most common form of dementia in the elderly, and vascular dementia --- loss of brain function thanks to a series of small strokes --- is second. ~ Reuters, 2 July 2008

My Dad said that if a man reaches 70 years of age, that is already a gift and a blessing. But 90? I, myself, will tell you that is a miracle!

From experience and my own observation, men always die ahead of women. I think there are more widows than widowers.

Long life is a combination of having good genes and being able to have a healthy lifestyle. The former is a given, while the latter takes too much effort and discipline on our parts.

If I reach 70, I'd say, "Thank you!"

If I reach 90, I'd say, "Wow! I made it. This is truly a miracle."

If I reach 100, I think I will start another career. Whatever that is, I will let you know when it happens.
blog comments powered by Disqus