10 September 2008

LHC First Beam Initiated Today





I received a series of Twitter updates on my mobile phone regarding the LHC, or the Large Hadron Collider as it prepares to fire its first beam today. It is indeed the world's biggest experiment. Imagine recreating the Big Bang.

I was in CERN last year for a brief visit. The collider was still in construction at that time but I was amazed at how colossal it is and like all geeks out there, I felt very excited how this experiment will go.

Let's hope the scientists find what they're looking for.

UPDATE: Still worried about a doomsday scenario because of this experiment? Don't worry too much about it. Experts say that even if black holes are produced, they will likely be baby black holes with no real potential to gobble up the planet.
blog comments powered by Disqus