04 September 2006

Cottonbud Addiction

Are you one of them? Do you often clean your ears with cottonbuds? How often is 'often?' I know of some people who do it more than twice a day. There are even some who see to it that they have a handy pack tucked in their pockets. Just in case they get the urge while working. What makes them indulge? Some say the feeling they get is more than euphoric...one told me it was even "orgasmic."

What's wrong with cleaning one's ears often?

All human ears produce wax. The earwax itself is part of the ear's method of cleaning itself. It is sterile and contains substances that prevent ear infections. There are two types: wet and dry. The dry ones usually cause problems by impaction, leading to mild deafness. If you try to clean your ears often, you simply push the earwax deeper into the ear and this causes more problems later on. Proper earwax removal, therefore, requires professional help. Overzealous earwax cleaning can sometimes harm the tympanic membrane or eardrum, and that means graver problems.

More info on earwax here. More info on how to clean your ear properly here.

16 reactions:

ipanema said...

Guilty as charge! I'm one of them. My day will not be complete without cleaning my ears with cottonbuds. Same with dental floss. Two things I can't do without. :)

eye said...

hmmm, olive oil to remove the wax. doc, tine-tempt ka talaga sa italian recipes mo haha just kidding.

seriously speaking, it really is addicting to clean the ears often. i do it after taking a bath but sometimes use 2 buds for each ear. thanks for this reminder doc :)

Tani said...

my husband, who is also a doctor, knows better, but he still uses cotton buds daily to clean his ears. nasanay na lang daw...

Ann said...

That's exactly what the doctor told me after having several ear infections but I can't help it. I still grab the cotton buds after taking a bath.

Anonymous said...

I do it almost everyday as a matter of habit, especially after a bath if my ears are wet. I use cotton buds to clean the outer ear too.

Getting an orgasm using cotton buds? Somebody plese tell me how! I must be missing out on some good thrills here!

Seriously, so far I have no problems with my ear from using cotton buds.

Dr. Emer said...

IPANEMA: Don't overdo it. Di ka pa lang siguro napuruhan ng ear infection kaya ganoon. Be careful. :)

EYE: Olive oil? You're right, with olive oil, the first thing that comes to my mind is Italian food and not cleaning my ears. *LOL*

TANI: *LOL* I used to be guilty of the same habit, too...until I got the ear infection. Now, I'm a changed man. :) Remember that doctors don't always practice what they preach. :)

ANN: Why do you think so? What makes this habit so addicting?

BAYI: Even if I knew how "orgasmic" cleaning one's ears can be, I will never tell you. Frequent ear-cleaning can be a problem later on. Just like Ipanema, you're just lucky you haven't had any ear infections yet. Twice a week ear-cleaning is the ideal, I think.

Anonymous said...

I've been really wary about cleaning my ears everyday ever since I got a cotton bud stuck in my ear one time. It was a stupid accident and my ear hurt so bad! I had to go to the ER!!! It's funny now but it was kinda traumatic.

Dr. Emer said...

TONI: So, you were addicted to cotttonbuds, too? Wow! I'm amazed by this discovery! The list gets longer and longer. Is it correct to say that my frequent readers and friends are all cottonbud addicts? *LOL* I agree that event that got you to the ER with a cottonbud stuck must have been the tough lesson that made you stop. That was indeed more traumatic than funny.

DigiscrapMom said...

MH had an ear infection apparently because he cleaned his ear too much. Addict din sa cotton buds eh!

I had a cotton bud accident when I was younger and that caused me to have poor hearing on my right ear. I'm very wary about cleaning my ears now. I just do it once or twice a week and I make sure that I don't really put in the cotton buds deep into the ear canal for fear that I might hurt myself again.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is a Pinoy thing. We bathe everyday. Daily hygiene. Cleaning ears is part of hygiene. So maybe that's why we clean ears everyday too. Nakasanayan. Bad pala!

Dr. Emer said...

MomBa: You are one good patient then. The addiction is so hard to resist and yet, you persevere. :)

Toni: It can be an Asian thing. Look at Bayi. He does it, too. I will research on that when I have more time and share it with all of you. :)

Anonymous said...

'AAAAAAAAAAAaaahhhhh ... eargasm."

Anonymous said...

OH OH OOOOOH, I AM AN ADDICT. It feels soooo goooood. the tip of the bud rubbed on the top of the ear hole entry is divine, i think if there is excess wax at this point , removing it from the skin is the relief that is felt, a bit like scratching an itch... but don't do that.. a gentle rub will do it. you actually dont need to insert the bud right in your ear. SO ......HAVE I FOUND THE NEW G SPOT THEN?

Anonymous said...

would you think that this addiction with cleaning our ears is some sort of an obessive compulsive diorder?

Anonymous said...

Yes yes.. me me too. I am a very compulsive ear cleaner and can defianlty say I feel that orgasmic feeling when i get the spot near my ear drum.. My husband is scared im gonna go deaf.. I scrath it.. and go pretty deep within the ear canel.. i do it first thing in the morning, during the day, at night .. sometimes I wake up and simply put the ear bud in my ear.. cause my body just wants it.. if I get ear wax.. which hardley eva do.. Im very proud !! ears are great!!!Good to hear others are out there too !!

Anonymous said...

Yes yes.. me me too. I am a very compulsive ear cleaner and can defianlty say I feel that orgasmic feeling when i get the spot near my ear drum.. My husband is scared im gonna go deaf.. I scrath it.. and go pretty deep within the ear canel.. i do it first thing in the morning, during the day, at night .. sometimes I wake up and simply put the ear bud in my ear.. cause my body just wants it.. if I get ear wax.. which hardley eva do.. Im very proud !! ears are great!!!Good to hear others are out there too !!